Pfizer’s Xalkori® (crizotinib) has received a new indication to treat unresectable, recurrent, or refractory ALK-positive inflammatory myofibroblastic tumors (IMT) in patients who are at least one year of age.
- IMTs are a rare form of tumor that, while usually noncancerous, can cause significant health problems depending on their location.
- Xalkori first received FDA approval in 2011 and is also approved to treat certain patients who have non-small cell lung cancer or systemic anaplastic large cell lymphoma.
- Recommended dosing for IMT treatment is:
- Adults: 250mg by mouth twice daily until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- Pediatric Patients: 280mg/m2 of body surface area taken by mouth twice daily until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.